A dedicated mission
The mission of Crossnore Academy is to offer a stable, emotionally supportive, educational environment for children with a goal of empowering each child to achieve his or her real academic and social potential.
It’s a mission shaped across nearly a century of educating mountain children at The Crossnore School, which now encompasses Crossnore Academy, founded in 1999 as one of the original 100 charter schools approved by the North Carolina legislature.
Licensed for children in grades K thru 12, the academy is designed to serve community students whose special needs can best be addressed by the school’s highly qualified teaching faculty. The academy’s scholastic program is arranged in four 45-day quarters for a total of 180 school days.
Small class size, large opportunities for discovery
In May, 2001, The Crossnore School dedicated its new Wayne Densch Education Building to house the academy, a collection of state-of-the-art classrooms arranged around a central library and student computer area.
Academy administrators, teachers, social workers and volunteers make a concerted effort to keep classroom settings small while using a wide range of resources to enhance learning experiences for each child.
“Our exceptional facilities and high standards make the academy an excellent choice for parents seeking a learning environment focused on their child’s individual needs,” says Rachel Hoilman.
Policies for enrollment
- Crossnore Academy will not discriminate against
any student on the basis of ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender or disability
- The academy will admit students in the LEA (Local Education Agency) district who have needs that can be met and addressed within the school, to be determined through a screening process aimed at matching needs with integrated classroom services
- If more students apply and qualify for the academy’s program than the school can accommodate, overflow applicants will be selected on he basis of need and then by lottery.
A profile of our student body
- Academy students are residents of The Crossnore School and the surrounding community
- Students are ages 5 through 18
- Grades are K thru 12 with multi-age and multi-grade level classrooms
- The school follows a traditional school schedule with a total of 185 academic days. Summers offer unique learning experiences by means of an exciting summer camp program.
To apply for admission, download an application (left), fill out and mail to:
Admissions, The Crossnore School
P.O. Box 249, 100 DAR Drive, Crossnore, NC 28616
The Crossnore Academy board of directors
Crossnore Academy is a fullly certified and chartered North Carolina Public Charter School, recognized by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. It is a 501 (c) 3 organization and is governed by its own board of directors, who are also members of The Crossnore School board. They are:
Judge Alexander Lyerly, chairman, Banner Elk
Mrs. Nancy Drew, Raleigh
Mrs. Freda Nicholson, Charlotte
For more information and details about North Carolina charter schools, contact:
Department of Public Instruction
Charter School Division 6303
Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-6303
(919) 807-349 www.ncpublicschools.org
Click Here for Title I. Parent Involvement Policy
Click Here for Student Handbook
Click Here for Employment Application
Click Here for School Calendar 2013-2014
Click Here for Report Card
Click Here for School Improvement Plan
Academically, most children come into care at Crossnore School a year or two behind their age group peers. The academy seeks individuals who will volunteer their time, good will and services to help children with library work, subject tutoring, classroom aids and special activities. For more details, please contact the school at
Business partnerships: labels
that turn into funds for teaching
The Crossnore School, PO Box 249, Crossnore, NC 28616
828-733-4305 | email@example.com